Re: Deleting annotations with replies

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 11:18:57AM +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:

> At the moment, I seem to be able to delete annotations which have replies
> (using Amaya). Is this an intended change or a bug?

I thought it was always so. We had lengthly discussions about this,
and, in the end, it was an arbitrary choice between A's right to
retract what he said and B's right to be able to refer to something
stable.

Deleting an annotation or reply orphans all the replies to it.  I
don't mean orphaned like when the client can't resolve the context to
place the annotation marker, but instead a situation where there is no
association between a document and the tree of replies coming from a
deleted annotation or reply.

We would have to duplicate an awful lot of information in each reply
if we wanted to keep it resilient against being orphaned. We could get
around this by creating a DeletedAnnotation object that to replace the
one that A wants to delete. This would require no immediate client
changes. The server currently detects annotations or replies with
replies and declines to delete them. I could just replace the body and
creator information with some hard-coded haha message.

What do you think?
--
-eric

office: +1.617.258.5741 NE43-344, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02144 USA
cell:   +1.857.222.5741

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.