Re: Thirdvoice White Paper

Jon Garfunkel wrote:

> Also note that in 3V, as far as I can tell, the annotations are not loaded
> until the proper page is fully displayed.

I believe they could modify this, so that their server is contacted when the
browser
starts a new navigation (the event is named BeforeNavigation in Internet Explorer).

During the download, ThirdVoice could contact the server.
When the browser has finished to load the entire document (DocumentComplete event
is fired
in Internet Explorer), ThirdVoice can dynamically modify the document and insert
annotations.

One question : in their online doc, they say the page is redisplayed with the
annotations.
Is the page entirely reloaded ? Or do you think the source is dynamically modified
using
dynamic HTML ?

> Yes, a good standard.

What do you think of extended URLs ? The biggest advantage with this encoding is
that
annotations are self-contained in the URL, so we don't need to download the
annotation
from a server. The client can decode the XURL so as to include icons or colors or
whatever
in place in the document.

Even for XURL where the comment is referenced to by a comment URL, the client can
get the
comment file itself, without the need of a third party server.

> I wish I had the experience and expertise (and necessity) to recussitate
> this working group... all I have the desire.

I also would like this working group recussitates. But it seems some people are
still
interested by annotation systems.
How could we organize a workshop ?
I propose that interested people post their interest on this list.
Laurent.