Re: Thirdvoice White Paper

At 10:37 PM 5/19/1999 +0200, Laurent Denoue wrote:
>I believe they could modify this...

Possibly so. This is a performance issue, I don't see it any value in
discussing it in depth at this time.

>One question : in their online doc, they say the page is redisplayed with the
>annotations.
>Is the page entirely reloaded ? Or do you think the source is dynamically
>modified using dynamic HTML ?

Dynamically modified-- no mass redrawing of the screen. The icons are
inserted inline, text is moved aside in a very neat way.

Note the original page is returned when you either View Source or Save As
File.

>What do you think of extended URLs ? The biggest advantage with this
encoding >is that annotations are self-contained in the URL, so we don't
need to >download the annotation from a server.

Show me the proposal. I can't see this adding too many benefits. I never
thought that URL's were supposed to carry data-- that's quite unintuitive.

With an open client/server model annotation system, the annotations do not
necessarily live on the same server, anyway.

>I also would like this working group recussitates. But it seems some
people >are still interested by annotation systems.
>How could we organize a workshop ?
>I propose that interested people post their interest on this list.

Dan works with the w3c, I hope he can give us some guidance.

How would the w3c take action in a case like this? Contact the software
developers and say, "We have a good feeling that this technology will be
standardized some day, we'd like to work with you to help that process."

Jon