Re: Thirdvoice White Paper

At 12:41 PM 5/19/1999 +0200, Laurent Denoue wrote:
>>(Not that w3 has offered anything just yet).
>
>Are you thinking of XPointers ?

I'll concede that. I didn't think XPointers described a whole annotation
system though.

>Yes, I agree with that. But this is solved if ThirdVoice sells its server
>application so that any institution can install in "locally".

Of course-- following RealAudio's lead. I sent them a note about this; I'll
wait to here from their project manager.

But it seems like annotations are so much simpler, that if 3V doesn't do it
someone else will.

>I fear that the biggest problem of ThirdVoice (and Crit.org) is the fact that
>their server is contacted at each browsing request. ThirdVoice becomes
>a ThirdEar and raises the problem of privacy : their server can trace
>users as they browse the Web.

Indeed, we'll have to trust P3P and auditing systems, unless all we need to
do is trust our friends who are running their own 3V servers.

>Of course, the solution is to turn off the service, and then turn it on
when >the user wants to see the annotations on a specific page. But it is
not user->friendly : you have to remember to turn off the service before
you leave a >page,

I've had no problem with this just yet. First approach: use both flavors of
browsers at once! With 3V you can even have one IE window using it, and
another window with it turned off (I'm led to believe that). Furthermore, I
happen to concentrate all of my comment-minded browsing in one "session,"
and then I'll turn it off and go into sites that I don't need comments on.

>An other advantage of this approach is its speed since the server is not
>contacted at each browsing activity.

Also note that in 3V, as far as I can tell, the annotations are not loaded
until the proper page is fully displayed.

>Do you have any info about this [forthcoming Netscape Navigator version]?

No.

>The problem not resolved by the current Web annotation systems is the
>identification of an annotation.
>They use proprietary protocols and formats. So users cannot insert a link
to >an annotation, like they do today when they insert a link to a document
with >its URL.

Yes, a good standard.

I wish I had the experience and expertise (and necessity) to recussitate
this working group... all I have the desire.

Jon

"And on the eighth day, He found the README file..."

Jon Garfunkel .......................... phone 781-262-4797
Software Engineer ...................... Burlington Office 25/2020E
VPN Advantage .......................... 	https://nes-web/people/jgarfunk
GTE Internetworking /Powered By BBN/ .....................................