Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

Hi,

In the Open Source community we absolutely need a good HTML editor as AMAYA and
at the moment I do not see any better solution.

I have a lot of HTML documents to edit and it would be very annoying to have to do it
by means of a basic text editor.

Before using Amaya, I did use KOMPOZER which is today no more maintained and
which is not optimal about W3C standards, although still accepted by Firefox.

>From a technical point of view I would not be able to contribute, but I am willing to
pledge some donations.

- Indeed HTML5 is becoming important and must be implemented.

- Moreover a few other improvements like the graphic interface for the management
of tables which should be made as good as it was in Kompozer.

- No more much concern, but I did not succeed to install AMAYA on 32 bit machine in a
KUBUNTU environment.

Etienne Saliez

tel +32_26541759

http://www.isfteh.org/working_groups/category/collaborative_care_team_in_open_so
urce[1]

On Wednesday 19 March 2014 19:24:36 Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> Hello Antoine,
>
> On 2014/03/19 18:21, HiddenId wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > If you like using AMAYA as I Iike it, shouldn't we try to relaunch its
> > long term development, particularly, making AMAYA running better with
> > current and future version of web browsers ?
> >
> > For sure, we know that neither W3C nor WAM INRIA deploy resource for AMAYA
> > any more. As specified on AMAYA home web page "the application was
> > jointly developed by W3C and the WAM project (Web, Adaptation and
> > Multimedia) at INRIA. It is no more developed."
> > However, if many of us email to W3C and INRIA decision makers, our
> > encouragements to decide to maintain AMAYA as a permanent project to
> > develop, should this have an positive impact for relaunching the project
> > with permanent allocated resources ? Would this help to relaunch AMAYA
> > development ?
> > Freely,
> > Antoine
>
> Sorry to not be of much help, but please let me explain the situation as
> far as I understand (as a former member of the W3C team).
>
> I like Amaya very much, too, and would be really delighted if
> development would continue (restart). A student of mine about a year ago
> also worked on adding HTML5 support to Amaya, her code is available at
> https://github.com/ezura/Amaya/. There also seem to have been others
> working on the code, see https://github.com/w3c/Amaya/network or search
> for 'Amaya' on github.
>
> However, unfortunately, it's not just that the Amaya project at INRIA is
> closed, but that its main developers and backers are retired. So there's
> nobody at INRIA in a position to push Amaya development. Also, INRIA
> being a research institution, simply adapting Amaya to newer browsers
> may not be such an attractive project.
>
> Anybody is of course very welcome to continue to work on Amaya, because
> it's all open source!
>
> Regards,   Martin.

--------
[1]