Re: Changes in the German translation >> Change other languages, change - into +

Jörg Kohne a écrit ce qui suit, le 23/12/09 05:21 :
> […]
>> For example, "Exit Amaya" is replaced by "Beenden"
>> (no reference to Amaya),
>>
> Yes, you're right! The word-for-word translation is "Amaya beenden". The
> germanised translation is simply "Beenden". Which program would otherwise
> have meant?  ;-)

In French too, we have "Quitter Amaya".

Most applications in most operating systems have just "Quit (Ctrl+Q)".
In my opinion, one should not correct German but correct all other
languages to just "Quit" (without "Amaya") to be consistent with the
common practice in GUI application software.

By the way, most documentation about software and most menus are
expressing a combination of keys with the + sign (like in "Ctrl+Q").
(Likely ⌘+Q on a Mac, but I can’t check it now.) Why does Amaya alone
(or nearly alone) write "Ctrl-Q" and the like? This also should be made
consistent with the common practice about keyboard shortcuts.

--
Amicalement, Dominique,
dominique@d-meeus.be, http://www.d-meeus.be/