Re: Changes in the German translation >> Change other languages, change - into +

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Dominique Meeùs wrote:

> In French too, we have "Quitter Amaya".
>
> Most applications in most operating systems have just "Quit (Ctrl+Q)". In my

ctl-S and ctrl-Q are stop and start, and have been since at least the 1980s

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ctrl-s+ctrl-q

> opinion, one should not correct German but correct all other languages to just
> "Quit" (without "Amaya") to be consistent with the common practice in GUI
> application software.
>
> By the way, most documentation about software and most menus are expressing a
> combination of keys with the + sign (like in "Ctrl+Q"). (Likely ?+Q on a Mac,
> but I can?t check it now.) Why does Amaya alone (or nearly alone) write
> "Ctrl-Q" and the like? This also should be made consistent with the common

Because it has been a convention for years.  Google givew 112 million to
2.9 million in favour of ctrl- over ctrl+.  Where do you get you "most"
from?  For a case in point, see the Kermit documentation.

> practice about keyboard shortcuts.

        Hugh, not on the Amaya team.