Re: amaya[Fwd: Re: Reformatting errors]

On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 12:12:42PM -0500, Lucinda DeWitt wrote:

> The response copied below addressed the reformatting issue.  I agree with
> your frustration with the rewriting of code, but it looks like that's just
> how amaya works.

An option would take care of that :-)

> For really old and/or messed up, code, I do a "pre-edit" in a basic text
> editor, before letting Amaya touch it.  I also use a basic text editor for
> more complicated search/replace.  At least now I know about the "not
> searching across colors" issue--I wish that had been in the help files,
> would have saved me alot of headaches.   I've been using Amaya for a couple
> of years now.  It's definitely a bit buggy (especially on my Mac), but it
> works once you get used to its idiosyncrasies (and it's free).

The code really wasn't messed up, only missing the DOCTYPE header, which I
gather from the response, gets ignored.

I should have thought about the color thing.  An editor that I used to use,
asWedit (no longer available/updated), would find/replace within certain tags,
like <A>.  A quick ctrl-w would turn of syntax checking and allow one to
do normal GUI editing.  It would NOT reformat the page.  It would provide
HTML syntax checking.  One does not have to reformat the text in order to
syntax check it.  asWedit was free too and it was a great HTML editor and
syntax checker.

I now run Solaris 10 on my server and Amaya doesn't compile out-of-the-box
under Solaris 10 x86 :-(

> Not sure what email program you use, but I have a filter in Thunderbird
> that easily catches all of my Amaya mail and puts it in a separate folder
> for easy scanning.

I now use mutt, but don't do filtering for the simple reason that I am too
lazy to have to keep opening up around 20 different folders (if I were to
filter mail into folders).  That is just way to many folders to deal with.
Most, not all, mail lists are set up so the the list name is part of the
subject line, making it real easy to see when visually parsing the subjects.

> Best of luck to you,

Thanks.

> When loading a document, Amaya parses the source code and builds a DOM tree.
> Editing is then performed on this tree and a completely new source code
> is generated
> from the tree when the document is saved. Formatting of the source code
> is therefore
> not preserved by Amaya. The DOCTYPE declaration has nothing to do with this.

But shouldn't it?  That tells you under which version of HTML I am complying
with.  The version that I an working with does not require a lot of closing
tags, like </P>, which I do not use.  So, Amaya shouldn't force them into the
document either, since they are OPTIONAL and I opted not to use them.

> I was not able to reproduce the bug of the misplaced </p>, but the bug
> of the
> new line generated before the '.' is now fixed in the CVS base.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.

You are welcome.  Here is the original source, without the </p>:

<P>The full production number starts with 011-40217. For example, the full
production number for <EM>Gettysburg Virus</EM> is 011-40217-004.

<!--$url-minder-ignore$-->
<P>This page downloaded on <!--#echo var="DATE_GMT"-->
<!--$/url-minder-ignore$-->

<ADDRESS>
<!--$url-minder-ignore$-->
Last modified on <!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED"-->.
<!--$/url-minder-ignore$-->
</ADDRESS>

And this is what Amaya does to it:

production number for <em>Gettysburg Virus</em> is 011-40217-004. <!--$url-minder-ignore$-->

<!--$/url-minder-ignore$-->
<address>
  <!--$url-minder-ignore$-->
  Last modified on <!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED"-->
  . <!--$/url-minder-ignore$-->

</address>

When it adds the </P>s, it royally screws up the lines.

It would REALLY be nice if there was a syntax check only mode and not a
rewrite mode, especially if Amaya isn't going to use the DOCTYPE to determine
which version of HTML I am complying to.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign