Re: WORKAROUND Re: BUG: £ converted into £,   converted into ~

> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>  > John Stumbles wrote:
>  >> What puzzles me is that this looks like behaviour designed-in to
>  >> Amaya, and I'm wondering what it could possibly be designed to
> acheive?
>  >
>  > My guess is economy and readability. If the character encoding you're
>  > saving as supports £ then there are less bytes and the code is more
>  > readable if the real character is used. (Readability is obviously an
>  > unpersuasive argument when it comes to special space characters
> however.)
>
> Hoookayyy, looks like my documents are in 8859-1:
>
> ?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
>        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
> <head>
> charset=iso-8859-1" />
>
> If I change that to UTF-8 then Amaya replaces my &pound; with £ (I
> assume that's a representation of a UTF character which shows up in
> Amaya source view as a character like a capital A with a circumflex or
> caret ^ mark over it followed by a £ pound symbol).
>
> That renders correctly on my browsers.
>
> It also seems to make spacing work properly: Amaya still changes &nbsp;
> to what seems to be a real plain space, represented by '~' in source
> view, but that now renders correctly on my browsers.
>

> (In an earlier) message Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>
>> 2. Having your HTML document declare its character set with a HTTP
>> header equivalent in a META element:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.2.2
>
> That's under my control
>

>> 3. Most importantly, if the document is being served by a webserver, you
>> must ensure your server declares the character set of the HTML document
>> with a real HTTP content-type header when it serves it:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
>
> That unfortunately is not.
>
> Ironically it was with my own local Apache that I was getting
> incorrectly-rendered characters, and with the paid-for server it seemed
> to be displaying correctly even with ISO-8859-1 encoding.
>

> I still think it's a bug that Amaya changes characters one has entered
> by hand without warning.

Amaya is a WYSYWYG editor and consequently it doesn't need to preserve the
source code of your document. The different ways to represent the £ are
equivalent, so Amaya choose one according to the encoding you use.

If you want to change the encoding of the pages on your server, an easy
way is to put a file named ".htaccess" at your root directory:

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset