Re: Font Size

> From: Peter Kerr <p.kerr@auckland.ac.nz>
> Date: 2007/12/06 Thu PM 10:19:28 GMT
> To: Leon Stringer <leon.stringer@ntlworld.com>
> CC: <Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr>,
>   <www-amaya@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: Font Size
>

> On 7/12/2007, at 6:31 AM, Leon Stringer wrote:
> > I'm not sure how to describe this so I've attached a screen shot of
> > the same file in Firefox and Amaya with the default zoom/font-size
> > in both.
>
> from that screen shot I find that Amaya is rendering the
> default (12pt) with [x-height + ascender + descender] = 12 pixels
> with a spacing between lines ascender <-> descender = 9 pixel
>
> FF is rendering its letters at 15 pixels + spacing 20 pixels.
>
> It seems to me that Amaya is rendering the 12pt with about
> the correct number of pixels. Is FF using a default font
> which is deliberately chosen having larger glyphs to
> overcome those sites which rely on some broken feature of IE?
>
> Next step: try setting the default font for FF to be the same
> as for Amaya (Times? 12pt?) and repeat the experiment....

Yes, it looks like Firefox's "12pt" is rendered as 16pt by default.

Maybe this is a response to the small fonts in pages "designed" for IE. Or maybe it's because we've steadily moved from 800x600 to 1280x1024 monitors and greater over the years but still expected 12pt to be at the same perceived size on screen. It looks to me like browsers alter the pixel size depending on the DPI.

Can anyone point to what the standards-compliant browsers do?