Re: Wrong XHTML encoding

Halloechen!

Irene Vatton <irene.vatton@inrialpes.fr> writes:

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:00:47 +0200
> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> When I open test.xhtml with the following contents
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
>>        "../xhtml11.dtd">
>> <head>
>>   <title>Artikel</title>
>> </head>

>> add some accented characters and save it as the same XHTML file,
>> the encoding remains latin-1, but no
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
>>
>> is generated.
>
> Amaya doesn't generate the XML declaration when there is a XHTML
> DOCTYPE,

But then it is not well-formed XML.  I send Amaya's output though an
XSLT processort and it fails because it assumes (correctly) that the
file is UTF-8 encoded, although it's not.

> because it's not strictly necessary and some browsers are not
> confortable with this XML declaration.

Browsers that can read XHTML at all use one or the other XML parser
for this, and I've never heard of one not able to read it.  If a
browser cannot read XHTML but only HTML, well, that's a different
thing, but in this case you must generate plain HTML with Amaya.

Tschoe,
Torsten.