Re: Annotation highlight PB with unique id

Hello Jean-Luc,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 05:03:16PM +0200, Meunier, Jean-Luc wrote:
> Oups, I forgot to attach my two test files.

It was easier to understand the problem this way.

> I'm surprised by the behavior of the annotation mechanism when annotated elements have an 'id'.
>
> In this case, two issues:
> 1 - the  annotation symbol (the little orange pen) doesn't appear close to the selection but rather on top left point of the document.

This is a double bug. It's a bug in your xml document because an
XML id attribute has to start with a letter, "_" or ":" , not with a
digit (see the XML spec). If you change the ids to be conformant, then
it'll work.

It's a bug in Amaya because it detects that your XML file is wrong,
but doesn't stop and give you a warning, it just continues and
generates the annotation.

> 2 - In the list of annotations (from the "View:show links" menu), if I click the left-part of the annotation, then the whole document is highlighted instead of
> the selected part.

I think this is related to 1. too because I can't reproduce it.

> In absence of id, the highlight works fine and the little pen is properly positionated.
>
> My personal problem is that I'm interested in getting xpointer values referring to the element's id rather than expressions like: xpointer(/A[1]/C[1]).
> Actually, I probably can compute one from the other. Any hints on how to do this easily?

I think that using IDs is the best solution if you want to have
fine-grained annotations of documents whose structure may change with
time. This way you won't loose them. There's a special Amaya function
to help generate ID values:

	Links / Add/Remove IDs

It may be useful or not to you, depending on your context.

Hope this helps,

-jose