Re: Pasting of Unicode characters *still* buggy

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:45:05 -0700 (PDT)
"James J. Ramsey" <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Irene Vatton <irene.vatton@inrialpes.fr> wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:02:36 -0700 (PDT)
> > "James J. Ramsey" <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > The old bug I reported for Amaya 8.3 "Can paste
> > some
> > > Unicode characters but not others"
> > >

> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya/2004JanMar/0153.html>
> > > is not fixed.
> > >
> > > Attempting to paste an em-dash from GNOME's
> > Unicode
> > > character map (gucharmap) still results in the
> > string
> > > "\x{2014}" being pasted.
> >
> > I suspect that applications don't interpret
> > exchanged characters
> > with the same encoding.
> > What solution do you suggest?
>
> Amaya should at least accept Unicode characters pasted
> from GNOME's character map.

Amaya is able to support a lot of encodings. It just needs to know what encoding
is used to interpret correctly the received value.
Today the default encoding is ISO-8859-1.
Of course if the value is UTF-8 encoded, Amaya wan't interpert the character correctly.
A possible solution is to let the user change the encoding.
There is a global variable called Default_Charset in the $AmayaHome/thot.rc that allows
to force the default encoding, but there is no UI to change this value.
Perhaps setting this value to UTF-8 or UNICODE-1-1 will solve your problem?