Re: RedHat RPM issues with amaya 8.1b

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:00:01 -0400 (EDT)
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@merl.com> wrote:

> OK, here come my current updated versions, with all the other patches
> I mentioned., and without the gl/gtk run-time selection yet.

Thanks. I integrated your new version of spec files.

> Do you want the OpenMotif, GTK or GL versions to be the default.

The current default is GTK

> > The source tarball includes the English version of the documentation.
> > The tarball amayadoc includes French, Spanish, German, and in the future
> > Russian versions of the documentation.
> > Probably we'll have to generate a separate rpm.
>
> Got it. It's possible to build a spec file that builds a separate
> documentation package: it does make the SRPM larger to include such a
> document set.
>
> Which would you prefer to include? And where would it go relative to the

A separate package is probably a good solution. The documentation which
includes an html subdirectory and an images subdirectory must be installed in
the Amaya/doc directory.

> > Amaya uses standard libraries when it's possible, but it needs
> > specific versions of libwww, redland and expat.
>
> Got it. That's a shame, but I do understand the requirement. It's not
> difficult to write spec files that would use 3 distinct tarballs
> instead of just the one large one, with specific versions, so you
> could update one package instead of having to build Amaya tarballs
> with all 3. Let me know if that would be useful to you.

> > This was due to the history. We installed several versions of Amaya
> > on the same server. All these versions were able to share
> > configuration files and documentation.
> > It's still possible but it's not the current approach.
>
> Hmm. So would you prefer now to have it set aside in its own location,
> such as /opt/Amaya, or merged more gracefully into the standard
> /usr/share locations? Merging it might require some significant
> Makefile code changes.

I'm not against, but we have to pay attention that the Makefile is also
used to generate Debian packages.