Re: SVG box sizes appear bigger than size defines with mouse

Juan Lanus wrote:

> Also, in the meanwhile and if it's not too, it would be fine that <rect>
> and the other shapes were not created as <empty /> tags.

But that would not be valid SVG. <rect> and other basic shapes are empty
elements by definition. You can't put other graphic elements, even text,
within a <rect>. The only thing you can put is an animation element
(to animate the rectangle) or some description (desc, title, metadata),
to document your source code. But those elements are not visible.
Refer to the definition of rect in the SVG 1.0 specification:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/shapes.html#RectElement

If you want to group a rectangle with some text element, use <g>, as
indicated in:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#Groups

> This would take about 50% of the editing effort needed to move text into
> rectangles.

But that would lead to invalid documents. I guess that what you
would like to do is something like:

  <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.0//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">
  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.0">
    <g transform="translate(60,20)">
      <rect fill="yellow" width="120px" height="70px" y="0" x="0"/>
      <text y="40px" x="35px"> Some text </text>
    </g>
  </svg>

The Amaya team will have to work more on SVG editing, but at the moment
you can almost produce something like that with Amaya. Using the Graphics
palette, create a rectangle and a text string, then select both elements
(I guess there is a bug in the current version, as the second selected
element is not highlighted) and press the Group button in the Graphics
palette. You can then apply a transform attribute to the <g>.

Vincent.