Re: many blank buttons in (math) greek letters palette

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:28:51 +0800
"Dekai Wu" <dekai@cs.ust.hk> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 24, 2003 8:57 PM
> "Irene Vatton" <irene.vatton@inrialpes.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:30:13 +0800
> > "Dekai Wu" <dekai@cs.ust.hk> wrote:

> > Amaya uses esstix fonts and the font requested to display the keyboard is
> >    "-ttf-esstixone-*-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
> > See in the FAQ how to load and install these fonts.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. We went through these steps but the
> problem persisted. It appears to be an incompatibility between Amaya
> and the GTK version in RedHat 9.0. Here's why:
>
> 1. We managed to install RPMS package version of Amaya 8.0 (GTK
>    version), which was downloaded from w3.org, onto RedHat 9.0.
>    We experienced the font problem on the Greek Letters palette.
>
> 2. We installed the same RPM (GTK) package on a PC running
>    Mandrake Linux 9.1. No problem with the Greek Letters palette.
>
> 3. We compiled Amaya 8.0 from the source code with GTK option
>    on RedHat 9.0. The resultant binary still exhibits the same
>    font display problem on the Greek Letters palette.

It could be a problem with the "fonts.dir" file or the "XftCache file".
I published a copy of my esstix directory at
 http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Distribution/esstix.tar.gz
This directory is  installed on my box at /usr/local/share/fonts/esstix and there
is a refenrece
dir "/usr/local/share/fonts/esstix" in "/etc/X11/XftConfig"
and  catalogue = ..... /usr/local/share/fonts/esstix, in the file "/etc/X11/fs/config"

> 4. We compiled Amaya 8.0 from the source code, using Motif (lesstif)
>    instead of GTK (ie.  --without-gtk). No problem with the Greek
>    Letters palette, even without installing the esstix fonts.

This Motif version doesn't use truetype fonts and xft.

> 5. On Solaris platform, we compiled Amaya 8.0 from the source code,
>    with GTK option. No problem with the Greek Letters palette.
>
> Our RedHat 9.0 (not 8.0!) systems were created with the vanilla
> installation process, and should not be the cause of the problem.
> It should be easy to replicate the problem by trying step (3) above.
> Hope this info is useful.

Perhaps RedHat 9.0 uses a different font server and needs another configuration.