Re: amaya won't start due to font problems

Paul Cheyrou-lagreze wrote:
> It looks for a configuration file named :
> /etc/gtk/gtkrc or ~/.gtkrc
> And there is no file.

FWIW, my Debian Woody box also has neither of these files. /etc/gtk
exists and contains lots of gtkrc.* (put your 'international' country or
character set identifier where the * is).

 > could you try the debian package named "gtk-theme-switch"

Also, FWIW, after I run switch, there is a .gtkrc in my home directory.

I also got an off-list suggestion to check font availability using
gtkfontsel instead of xfontsel.  gtkfontsel reports that some basic
fonts (adobe-times, adobe-helvetica etc) are NOT available, although
just about everything else is.  The suggestion also pointed me to the
xft subsystem, and there seem to be some inconsistencies there that I'm
presently trying to track down.

If anybody knows where to find a howto, or preferably some tool that
validates and sets up fonts, I'd be very grateful. (Not just a general
font howto, but something that covers applications that use font files
directly, not through X).

Cheers, Dave
--
Dave Howorth