Re: Windows Install -II-

Hi, Brant

Brant Langer Gurganus wrote:
> Amaya doesn't even need installation so why
> not make a ZIP distribution and for those who need something simpler,
> use a self-extacting ZIP which also puts an icon in %DESKTOP%.

Even if it's valuable the fact of not needing an "installation" in the
sense of those cryptic Windows setups that are impossible to undo, it's
valuable to have simplified process to put the program to work.

For example, unzipping from a regular ZIP file into a directory is
daunting for many people.
I'm writing on behalf of them, not me. I'm a software developer and I
work with computers of all sorts since ages ago. I can manage a .ZIP.

In my professional work I'm involved in the "usability" view of systems
and programs and as such, I consider other people's needs and capabilities.

And I think that Amaya's fate is to spread and be installed in millions
of PCs all around the world and be used by many.

For most of those people the Amaya setup is very good. It works, it's a
known program, it doesn't ask weird questions, it's simple.
But as the installed base grows there will be appearing problems of
people that installed the new version in a new folder and end up with
two Amaya and only one uninstall.
Many people can't track the directory location of the executable program
and if ever there, they can't identify which of the several Amaya
folders to delete.

That' the problem with Windows installs: users without a clue. Maybe
smart people in their professions who couldn't care less about the PC
internals.

The same as my wife (an artist who cares less about motorcars and the
like) can start her car and drive around happily, everybody could be
able to install Amaya (or any other program) without worrying about the
PC internals.

That's why Windows programs must have an installation process that
checks for disk space and older versions on behalf of the non technical
user.

Even if Amaya can be set by simply copying the files into a folder.

Saludos
Juan Lanus
TECNOSOL
Argentina