Re: Windows Install -II-

Juan Lanus wrote:

> To make some more use of the subject, I want to bring a usability
> issue of the Windows install.
> I've installed Amaya many times, since version 5 (?), in all the three
> PCs I use.
> Each and every time it asks me where do I want to put it, instead of
> defaulting to the folder where the prior version is already installed.
> My choice is always D:\amaya and I (almost) never forget to set it, but
>
> It's customary for software upgrades to guess the program installation
> directory from the former version's.
> This leads more to the desired "forehead install". It means that the
> user selects the proper icon, whams the keyboard with the forehead,
> and the software installs properly. It's a hunorpus way to define a
> simple installation.

It is my understanding that Amaya doesn't even need installation so why
not make a ZIP distribution and for those who need something simpler,
use a self-extacting ZIP which also puts an icon in %DESKTOP%.  Perhaps
if an installer is still used, a free, relatively open installer such as
Nullsoft's NSIS could be used?

--
Brant Langer Gurganus
http://troop545.cjb.net/brant.xhtml