Re: Amaya 4.2.1

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Irene VATTON wrote:

  > 2) The loading if images can't be turned off. Very bad. I am not willing
  > to pay for all the graphics crap many sites put on their stuff.

  This is on our TODO list.

This would make a big difference to how useful Amaya is to me - There are a
number of times when I have decided not to use it directly, but use Lynx to
get a text-only copy of a document, becuase I don't have the time to wait for
downloads (over a cellphone they are VERY expensive).

  > 3) It's impossible to access links derived from coordinates over an
  > image. This is also common these days; amaya fails dismally. These links
  > don't show up in the link view either. See www.canterbury.ac.nz for an
  > example.

  I guess the introduction of SVG generated the problem. We'll check.

In fact the areaas are still available, as you can see if you select View ->
Map Areas from the menus. But there is a bug so that the geometry doesn't put
them in the right place. This means they are pretty hard to use...

  > 5) When entering a URL, I still have to type the "http://". This is
  > majorly dumb as well as antiquated. I don't like software forcing me to
  > waste my time. I don't care whether it's in any www standard or not.
  > Political correctness only makes annoying software.

  To avoid to enter file:// when you are loading a local file it needs
  to check the local file system first then access the network.
  We didn't spend time on this feature but if any external contributor can
  contribute
  there. Any volunteer?

This is eventually just a user preferences question. It would of course be
handy if you could choose where it looked by default - I find it very handy
that it works in my filesystem, but that is becuase I use it a lot to edit in
my file system. I think a smarter thing to do would be to run jigsaw, and get
it to look in http://localhost/ by default, but that still means I need to be
able to set preferences. And I don't have much time to volunteer right now
(sigh)

Charles McCN