RE: character entity entries

> From:	John Russell [SMTP:ve3ll@rac.ca]
>
> What is the procedure for entering character entities other
> than those on the accented characters list.
> For example thorn is missed as well as the representations
> for cent, pound sterling, euro, copyright etc.
	[DJW:]  [DJW:]
	The normal OS mechanism, e.g. for Windows,
	ALT-0163, or cut and paste from charmap.
	For GBP, of course, you just type in, if you
	are using a British keyboard.

> Perhaps the page that deals with accented characters can be expanded
> to include all the entities (ie generalized).  Personally I would
	[DJW:]
	There are around 60,000 numeric entities.  XML only has
	four or five named character entities common to all
	applications.

> like to see pallets for this but for the moment if the procedure
> was clearly documented (and a help menu pointer to same)
	[DJW:]
	If it's not clearly documented, and you are using Windows,
	complain to Microsoft.

	[DJW:]  Chinese on a non-Chinese build of Windows is more
	difficult (Amaya doesn't support such characters yet, though);
	you have to enter them into a form in IE and then cut and
	paste them (works to get them into paintbrush).  Actually,
	Mozilla appears to hook into the the Chinese input method that
	is provided for IE and allows one to compose in Chinese without
	subterfuges.  This is for NT; I think that Win 98 Unicode
	support is less good.

	Character input methods really ought not to be the realm of
	individual applications.
[DJW:]