Re: Amaya 2.0a public release

> I have just built Amaya 2.0a from sources on Solaris 2.5.1, with GCC, and
> gmake.
>
> Installation:
>
> The build went fine
> The install failed in the directory obj/amaya because it could not
> find ../install.sh.
> gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/hgs/AMAYA/Amaya/obj/tablelib'
> gmake[2]: Nothing to be done for `libThotTable'.
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hgs/AMAYA/Amaya/obj/tablelib'
> ../install-sh -c -m 755 ../bin/amaya /usr/local/Amaya/applis/bin
> gmake[1]: ../install-sh: Command not found
> gmake[1]: *** [install] Error 127
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hgs/AMAYA/Amaya/obj/amaya'
>
> I copied Amaya/install.sh to Amaya/obj/install.sh
> and all went well.

I guess the problem comes from the configure. Could you check your file
Options? Mine defines:
INSTALL = /usr/local/gnu/bin/install -c

> Usage:
>
> The first thing I did was set the colours and fonts.  I noticed that
> the max font size is 20 points for the menu fonts.  I was hoping to
> use 24 points.  I set the foreground colour to White, and the background
> to Black.  This worked fine for the page about configuring Amaya.
>
> Starting a New Amaya gave me the doc:
> /usr/local/Amaya/amaya/AmayaPage.html
> which then came up with white text on a white background.
> I can, as yet, see no way to force an override on this, as per:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-USERAGENT/#accessible-content

You're right. There is a bug in the page AmayaPage.html

> The alternative text popups for the buttons has come up as a creamy colour
> (my default X foreground colour I think) on yellow.  Also the font is
> small. These are therefore illegible to me.  I cannot see where to set
> these colour parameters.

These colors are controlled by the "Menu foreground color" and
"Menu background color".

> The Configuring Amaya page, off the help menu, makes no refereces to
> editing particular values in files.  This would work around things not
> being on the preferences menus.  Also, there are variables in thot.rc
> which are could benefit from explanation.  For example, what sort of value
> should "ReduceColor=" take (a string, a number, ...)?

"Yes or No", but that is only useful for limited screen less than 256 colors.

> Apart from that, this is a big improvement over the last version I had.
>
> Two (more) suggestions:
>
> When you navigate to a link within a document (i.e a fragment denoted by
> #name) I think the main browser display should reflect
> this named reference somewhere.  Netscape does it in the URL, but I can
> see reasons for not doing this in that particular box.

Amaya reflects the URL where the document is located instead of the current
target position.

> In the Geometry preferences, would it be possible to adjust the scrollbar
> thicknes, and the size of the end "arrows" for up and down movement?  This
> would make them easier to target with a mouse if they were bigger for
> example.

I apologize but I don't think we'll do that in near future.