Re: Amaya 2.0a public release

On Wed, 19 May 1999 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:

> > I have just built Amaya 2.0a from sources on Solaris 2.5.1, with GCC, and
> > gmake.
> >
> > Installation:
> >
> > The build went fine
> > The install failed in the directory obj/amaya because it could not
> > find ../install.sh.
	[...]
> > ../install-sh -c -m 755 ../bin/amaya /usr/local/Amaya/applis/bin
> > gmake[1]: ../install-sh: Command not found
	[...]
> > I copied Amaya/install.sh to Amaya/obj/install.sh
> > and all went well.
>
> I guess the problem comes from the configure. Could you check your file
> Options? Mine defines:
> INSTALL = /usr/local/gnu/bin/install -c

	Mine has:
INSTALL = ./install-sh -c

> > Usage:

	[...]
> > Starting a New Amaya gave me the doc:
> > /usr/local/Amaya/amaya/AmayaPage.html
> > which then came up with white text on a white background.
> > I can, as yet, see no way to force an override on this, as per:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-USERAGENT/#accessible-content
>
> You're right. There is a bug in the page AmayaPage.html

	That would fix it for that page, but there are many
	similarly buggy pages on the net.  Could we have an
	option to override the (fore|back)ground colours on
	a page, please?

> > The alternative text popups for the buttons has come up as a creamy colour
> > (my default X foreground colour I think) on yellow.  Also the font is
> > small. These are therefore illegible to me.  I cannot see where to set
> > these colour parameters.
>
> These colors are controlled by the "Menu foreground color" and
> "Menu background color".

	Those are set to White and Black respectively.  the colour of
	the menu at the top is correct, and the menu popups, but not the
	popups on the buttons (for "stop", "back", "forward"...).

> > The Configuring Amaya page, off the help menu, makes no refereces to
> > editing particular values in files.  This would work around things not
	[...]
> > should "ReduceColor=" take (a string, a number, ...)?
>
> "Yes or No", but that is only useful for limited screen less than 256 colors.

	Thanks, but that was just an illustrative case :-)

> > Apart from that, this is a big improvement over the last version I had.
> >
> > Two (more) suggestions:
> >
> > When you navigate to a link within a document (i.e a fragment denoted by
> > #name) I think the main browser display should reflect
> > this named reference somewhere.  Netscape does it in the URL, but I can
> > see reasons for not doing this in that particular box.
>
> Amaya reflects the URL where the document is located instead of the current
> target position.

	which is what I meant about not doing this in that particular
	box, so somewhere else nearby, perhaps?

> > In the Geometry preferences, would it be possible to adjust the scrollbar
> > thicknes, and the size of the end "arrows" for up and down movement?  This
> > would make them easier to target with a mouse if they were bigger for
> > example.
>
> I apologize but I don't think we'll do that in near future.

	No rush, but if it could be done it would help.  Thank you.

>   Irene.

	Thank you,
	Hugh