Re: MathML errors

Irene Vatton wrote:
> Ashes Dhanna Ganguly wrote:
> > Hi,
> > While loading the following html file on Amaya 1.3b on LINUX

> >   <math>
> >     <MI>a</MI> &nbsp; <MO>+</MO> &nbsp; <MI>b</MI>
> >   </math>
> >
> > I am getting the following errors:
> >    Unexpected XML end tag </MI> instead of </mi>
> >    Unknown XML entity "&nbsp;"
> >    Unexpected XML end tag </MO> instead of </mo>
> >    Unknown XML entity "&nbsp;"
> >    Unexpected XML end tag </MI> instead of </mi>
> >

> > The above file worked perfectly on the 1.1c release of Amaya.
> >
> > Regards,
> >         Ashes
>
> The MathML specification has changed and Amaya too.
> Now tags must be given in lowercase and the right entity is
> &InvisibleTimes;
>
> Your example should be now:
>   <math>
>   </math>
>
> Regards
>   Irene.

Release 1.1c of Amaya was made in November 1997.  The MathML implementation
in that version was very prototypical, mainly because the MathML specification
itself was still under development.  Since that time MathML has changed a bit,
before it became a recommendation on April 7, 1998. The current implementation
of MathML in Amaya is now based on the recommendation:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-MathML

Irene is right, tags are now written in lowercase and many entities have
changed. &nbsp; should now be replaced by &NonBreakingSpace;

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-MathML/chapter6.html#sec6.2.1

but not by &InvisibleTimes; which represents a multiplication, Sorry Irene.

In your particular example, I would recommend to not use any explicit
spacing, because decent MathML formatter, like Amaya, will add the
necessary spaces around operators.  Just try:

   <math>
   </math>

Vincent.

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhone-Alpes
W3C/INRIA                           ZIRST
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@w3.org        655 avenue de l'Europe
Tel.: +33 4 76 61 53 62             38330 Montbonnot St Martin
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             France