Re: http PUT brocken

> From: "J. F. Wittenberger" <jerry@pfirsich.compot.com>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:53:11 +0200 (CEST)
> To: jg@pa.dec.com
> Cc: www-amaya@w3.org, webstar@compot.com
> Subject: Re: http PUT brocken
> -----
> > Hmmm...  Works well at W3C using Jigsaw and Jigedit, which uses access
> > control.
> >
> > What server (and version) are you using?  Is it configured to support PUT?
> > (Apache must be configured to use PUT; it doesn't work out of the box).
>
> I use Apache, which is configured to use http/put.  Works well with
> netscape and works also if no authentication is required.
>
> BTW: there is another wierdness about the authentication: It comes up
> with the authentication dialog multiple times (appearently for every
> pic in the page, not sure about that number).

Known problem in in the version of libwww that Amaya 1.2a uses.  You could
rebuild against a more recent libwww.

> > Old servers (HTTP/1.0) will also fail in random ways, due to problems
> > with the protocol, fixed in HTTP/1.1.
>
> It's an apache 1.1.3.  Too old?

Yes; that is an HTTP/1.0 server.  There is no guarantee that a PUT on
an HTTP/1.0 server will ever work; it depends on exact details of the
network  connection and the client and server implementation.  The protocol
itself is broken, and so some servers and clients try to code around the
problem.  Netscape before Version 4 is completely broken with PUT....
(I presume you are using Netscape 4).  There is no way to reliably do
PUT with HTTP/1.0, though you can make it work "most" of the time, which
is what Navigator 4 is doing...

The protocol is fixed in HTTP/1.1 (Apache 1.2 or later; 1.3 just came
out: I recommend you install this.

> > You might also use Henrik Frystyk's  command line tool and/or his GUI put
> > tool to test if your server is working correctly.
> > See: http://www.w3.org/Library/
> > 				- Jim Gettys
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I was looking for a command line http put tool
> for a long time.

Yes, send kudo's to Henrik...
			- Jim