Cut&Paste / directory listing via URL

From: Jochen M. Braun <jbraun@astro.uni-bonn.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:36:59 +0200
To: www-amaya@w3.org
Cc: jbraun@aibn45.astro.uni-bonn.de

Hi,

it is quite nice to see that designing browsers is not left to two firms.
I hope that the W3C will continue in developing a browser demonstrating
the need for standardization - so I hope that Amaya will soon be fully
compatile to HTML 4.0 and CSS 2.

Using the Amaya V1.2a under Linux, I found two problems.

It woud be very convenient to have the selected text in the HTML window
('Formatted_view' and 'Links_view') of Amaya also available for cut & paste
actions under the X window system.
Is there a special function available now to achieve this, e.g. to insert
parts of a displayed HTML document in an editor like 'vi' running in an xterm?
Is it planned to built in such a feature in near future, e.g. as a new point
in the 'Edit' commands?

Getting a listing of a local directory is comfortably by using 'File' - 'Open
document', but it is standard to get a listing displayed in giving a directory
as URL. This function is not implemented in version 1.2a. I think this would
be quite a nice feature for later versions of Amaya.

Both points would also be solvable in creating another view: "Browser_view"
without any editing capabilities for all the old-fashioned webmasters pre-
ferring to create web pages in the fastest way possible - by simply manipu-
lating ASCII files with the familiar editor.   ;-)
Thus following links would be possible by just pressing one mouse button and
pressing cursor keys would cause the document to scroll a line.
Beneath that the browser should not go to the beginning of the document when
reloading a document.

Many thanks for your help,

Jochen M. Braun

| Jochen M. Braun             E-Mail:   jbraun@astro.uni-bonn.de              |
| Sternwarte der              WWW-URL:  http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~jbraun/ |
| Universitaet Bonn           Phone:    (49) 228 / 73-9398                    |
| Auf dem Huegel 71           Fax:      (49) 228 / 73-3672                    |
| D - 53121 Bonn                                                              |
| F.R. Germany                                                                |
| Private address: Oberer Markenweg 80, D - 56566 Neuwied                     |
| Private phone:   (49) 2622 / 81476                                          |