Re: Amaya & HTML & SGML & Thot

> Irene VATTON (Irene.Vatton@imag.fr) wrote:
>
> >Amaya document definitions from the HTML DTD is done manually.
> >During this phase, some elements and attributes are added to allow >Amaya to
> >edit
> >documents. The HTML DTD doesn't take in account the editing needs.
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Could you elaborate? I can assure you that the designers of
> the HTML DTD have made every effort to accomodate the
> needs of editing tools.
>
> If there is some reason why the HTML DTD doesn't fit into
> the Amaya architecture, we should fix that -- either by
> changing the HTML DTD or by changing Amaya.
>
> --
> Dan Connolly, W3C HTML Working Group Chair
> <connolly@w3.org> +1 512 310-2971
> http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/
> PGP:EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21

Hi Dan,

Effectively, we need to introduce new elements and new attributes specifically
for editing.
Just some examples:
- element "Invalid_element" to support any invalid element found in HTML
documents.
- attribute "Invalid_attribute" to support any invalid attribute found in HTML
documents.
- element "Radio_Input", "Checkbox_Input", "Text_Input", etc. to distinguish
typed input elements
  which have different behaviors.
- attribute "DefaultChecked" to distinguish the checked value given by the
document author and the
  current user.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to extend the HTML dtd with all these
elements and attributes.
  Irene.