Re: Layout peculiarities

Florian Hars wrote:

>   H2 {color: red}
>   A {font-size: 200%; color: yellow}
>   A.yellow  {font-size: 200%; color: yellow}
> <h2>Name anchors in <a name=foo>green</a> and <a class=yellow
> name=bar>yellow</a></h2>
>
> Apart from the fact that the only way to color name-anchors other than
> green seems to be to explicitly assign a class

CSS1 does not allow you to use the name attribute as a selector in style
rules. As a consequence you cannot control the color of anchor elements
having a name attribute. Only the class and id attributes can be used as
selectors. W3C is working on extensions to CSS that will allow you to use
any attributes as a selector. This feature will be implemented in Amaya
in the future.

> empty name anchors insert additional horizontal and vertical spaces in lists:
> <ul>
> <li> These first lines show the normal inter line spacing
> <li> as it should be.
> <li> funny, isn't it?
> </ul>

This is a design decision that can be discussed. In Amaya we have put the
emphasis on the editing functionality (refer to
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/NOTE-amaya-970220.html). The space within empty
elements allows you to be aware that there is an element that may need to
be completed or deleted.

Empty paragraphs insert additional space. Empty anchors also insert additional
space. Should we format empty elements in different ways, depending on their
type?

> I think the following three tables should look almost the same, assuming
> gray.jpg is in fact 100x100 pixels:

You are right. They should look the same.

The formatting algorithm for tables in Amaya is very crude. We plan to
improve it in a future release.

Vincent.

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhone-Alpes
W3C/INRIA                           ZIRST
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@w3.org        655 avenue de l'Europe
Tel.: +33 4 76 61 53 62             38330 Montbonnot St Martin
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             France