Re: [amaya-dev]Re: More questions abour the build system

On Mon, October 16, 2006 14:43, Irene Vatton said:
> On Saturday 14 October 2006 21:42, Régis Boudin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been digging a bit through the build system, trying to clean up
>> things a bit, and I have a couple of remarks/questions :
>
> Thanks for doing this work.

Well, I have some interest in it, since I try to reuse as many shared
libraries from the system. If the build system is clear, it makes my
patches less intrusive...

>> 2/ I noticed that the redland RDF library is only used with the
>> bookmarks. The annotations module only needs the raptor library. Knowing
>> this, what do you think of the following ideas
>> * getting rid of the --enable-redland configuration flag, and
>> automatically care about it if someone asks for the module needing it.
>> * do the same with libraptor.
>> * add a "--enable-system-raptor" flag which would make it possible to
>> use the builtin redland with shared libraptor or link against a shared
>> one without redland when it's not needed. I'm not certain about the
>> "static raptor & shared redland" situation, however.
>
> Normally we have to use static raptor & redland.

Is there a specific reason to that ?
Well, I will try to do some work on that anyway, and provide clearly
separated patches so you can easily analyze them.

>> Also, to react on Hugh Sasse, I certainly second the request to have a
>> tarball unpacking everything into a subdirectory. Though I'm trying to
>> move away from the fullsrc archive for the Debian package, I was
>> disappointed to end up with 5 directories the first time...
>
> Yes, I agree with the Hugh request.
> I guess we also have to generate two different fullsrc archives: one for
> Windows and another for Linux and MacOs platforms.
> Today the fullsrc archive includes the Mesa library that is not needed on
> Windows platforms, and libraries that are only needed on Windows platforms
> (png, jpeg, freetype), but this should be prepared and experimented.

Honestly, my aim is slightly different. What I would like to see is a -src
archive which can be built without using any static library on systems
providing the shared ones. I already do this with the Debian package,
though my patch doesn't cover all the cases (and is therefore not ready
for inclusion).

>> Any comment is more than welcome. Any suggestion whether I should
>> continue to work on this sort of thing or not would be appreciated as
>> well :).
>
> Your work is very useful for us.

Good to know :)

> I suggest we generate binary distributions this week as we planned to do.
> Then we prepare the new source distribution next week, so we have more
> time to
> complete and test it.

Thanks for having merged my first patches in.

Regards,
Regis