[AAPI] Minutes UAI TF Meeting, Tuesday 10 January 2017

URL: https://www.w3.org/2017/01/10-aapi-minutes.html

Plain text follows:


      [1] http://www.w3.org/

   Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference

10 Jan 2017

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/01/10-aapi-irc


          Joseph_Scheuhammer, Joanmarie_Diggs, Bryan_Garaventa,




     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]ISSUE-676: (Joseph) Identifying MSAA+IA2 and
            ATK/AT-SPI actions, interfaces, and relations in the
         2. [5]ISSUE-654/ACTION-2130: (Joanie) Determine if AX API
            supports description changes.
         3. [6]ISSUE-739: (Joseph/Bogdan) UIA mapping for
            role="heading" without aria-level
         4. [7]ACTION-1707: (Joseph) AX API mapping for
            presentation/none in required owned children.
         5. [8]Review of HTML-AAM (All)
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions

   <clown> agenda: this

   <Rich> overlap with another call

   <scribe> scribe: joanie

   <Rich> might be 20 minutes

ISSUE-676: (Joseph) Identifying MSAA+IA2 and ATK/AT-SPI actions,
interfaces, and relations in the mappings.

   JS: This is something we discussed briefly before the break.

   <clown> issue-676?

   <trackbot> issue-676 -- Is it useful to identify MSAA+IA2 and
   ATK/AT-SPI actions, interfaces, and relations in the mappings?
   -- open

   <trackbot> [11]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/676

     [11] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/676

   JS: It is an issue raised by Jason Kiss a long time ago.
   ... We've done this work over a period of months.
   ... But I thought we should touch base with Jason to be sure
   he's happy before we close it.
   ... So I sent Jason an email off list.
   ... And explained that the Joanie and Alex and everyone
   contacted seems happy with what was done.
   ... I sent this email yesterday, so it's not surprising he
   hasn't replied yet.
   ... I am optimistic Jason will agree we can close it, but we'll
   ... Questions?


ISSUE-654/ACTION-2130: (Joanie) Determine if AX API supports
description changes.

   <clown> issue-654

   <trackbot> issue-654 -- Add label and description changes to
   section "State and Property Change Events" -- open

   <trackbot> [12]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/654

     [12] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/654

   JS: This also goes back a long time.
   ... Certain APIs fire events to notify ATs that there has been
   a name or description change.
   ... The mapping table is in the AccName spec.



   JS: Link above.
   ... The table is fully filled in except for AXAPI.
   ... Joanie has been tasked with action-2130 to see if the
   mappings are correct.
   ... Joanie sent an email to Chris and James from Apple, CCing

   JD: What I did prior to that email is grep through the code
   because the existing name-related event struck me as bogus.
   ... And I didn't find that event anywhere in the WebKit code.
   ... I then tested via local layout test to see what events were
   emitted for Acc Name and Acc Description changes on the Mac.
   ... And I included my findings in that email.
   ... What I found was that Acc Name resulted in an
   AXValueChanged notification if the name change was the result
   of an ARIA property.
   ... I found no notification happening for description changes.

   JS: I am going to leave these actions and we will revisit them.

ISSUE-739: (Joseph/Bogdan) UIA mapping for role="heading" without

   <clown> ISSUE-739?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-739 -- UIA doesn't support heading without
   level, how should we map role=heading without aria-level? --

   <trackbot> [14]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/739

     [14] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/739

   JS: This happened at the last meeting.
   ... During triage we came across how UIA maps heading role.
   ... Right now, it's a style on a text run.
   ... Cynthia wanted to know what to do about aria-level.


     [15] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Dec/0039.html

   JS: She suggested I write Bogdan to see what was going on.
   ... I did. The above link is for the email I sent.
   ... I've not heard back from Bogdan (perhaps due to the recent


     [16] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Dec/0042.html

   JS: But Stefan responded (see above link)
   ... He has concerns about the existing mappings.
   ... And provided some examples.
   ... It seems like the whole heading thing is a mixed bag.
   ... Related aside: Are we going to test IE for ARIA 1.1

   RS: No.

   JS: Stefan mentioned he tested in IE, but not Edge.
   ... Are we testing Edge for ARIA 1.1?

   RS: Yes.
   ... Edge has some sort of nightly builds available, so we can
   test that.

   JS: At some point, I will probably set up a Windows 10 VM with
   Edge then.
   ... If I haven't heard from Bogdan by Thursday, I will ping him
   and point him at this email.

ACTION-1707: (Joseph) AX API mapping for presentation/none in
required owned children.

   <clown> action-1707?

   <trackbot> action-1707 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Edit the AXAPI
   mapping table for roles presentation and none to specify that
   when applied to tables and lists, the children are exposed as
   AXStaticText accessibles. -- due 2016-12-06 -- PENDINGREVIEW

   <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1707

     [17] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1707

   JS: This is something I did over the holidays.



   JS: I've added some notes in the mapping for role presentation
   for AXAPI.
   ... I think this is right, but probably Apple should look it
   ... I got the text from something Joanie submitted.

   <clown> [19]https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=133133

     [19] https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=133133

   JS: See the bug at the above link.

   JD: Oh, yeah, this thing.
   ... I think you can solve this by reversing the contents in
   each cell.
   ... In particular, first mention the rules for exposing
   WAI-ARIA semantics because that explains what gets pruned and
   what stays in the accessibility tree.
   ... Then follow it with the middle paragraph, because that
   tells you how to map the stuff you don't prune (AXGroup,
   ... Lastly, put what you currently have at the top
   (AXStaticText, ROLE_SECTION) because that explains how you
   expose the actual rendered text.
   ... The actual rendered text isn't the thing with role
   ... And we're mapping (or not) the thing with role presentation
   and any required owned elements (group)
   ... The text exposure is almost a "by the way"

   JS: I think I can rewrite/rework this so that it works for all
   ... But I have some doubts.

   JD: If you draft something and give me some time (i.e. not
   right before or during the meeting) to chew on it, I might be
   able to help you work out anything you are having problems

   JS: Will do.

Review of HTML-AAM (All)


     [20] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2017Jan/0006.html

   JS: Rich, you wanted me to bring this up.

   RS: We need to make sure this lines up with our mappings.

   JS: The link I just inserted is an email from LĂ©onie.

   RS: Are we getting close enough to do this?

   JS: We're missing some AXAPI stuff.

   RS: I would like an ETA from Apple if possible.



   <clown> [22]https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165842

     [22] https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165842

   JD: So in that case, we don't know the mappings because there's
   been nothing committed.
   ... But when there is a commit to WebKit, there will be an
   associated Layout Test. And from the Layout Test you should be
   able to discern the mappings without much difficulty.

   JS: But the agenda item is about the HTML AAM review; not the
   AXAPI mappings.

   RS: When do they need this by?

   JS: Based on last week's editors meeting, we want the Core AAM
   done by February.
   ... If you want to work on the HTML AAM, great. But I need to
   focus on the Core AAM.

   RS: At the very least, we can see if they are pointing to our
   mappings where they need to.
   ... I will try to do that this month. Please assign it to me.


     [23] https://www.w3.org/2017/01/05-aria-minutes.html#item02

   <clown> ACTION: Rich to review HTML-AAM [recorded in

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2017/01/10-aapi-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2131 - Review html-aam [on Richard
   Schwerdtfeger - due 2017-01-17].

   RS: The link to the minutes are above.

   <clown> action-2131

   <trackbot> action-2131 -- Richard Schwerdtfeger to Review
   html-aam -- due 2017-01-17 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2131

     [25] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2131


     [26] https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/463








     [30] https://w3c.github.io/test-results/wai-aria/all.html


     [31] https://w3c.github.io/test-results/wai-aria/all.html


     [32] https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/463#issuecomment-271702519

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Rich to review HTML-AAM [recorded in

     [33] http://www.w3.org/2017/01/10-aapi-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]

Received on Tuesday, 10 January 2017 22:02:36 UTC