Re: role="text" and text frames

On 10/02/2016 2:52 AM, Rich Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> If we make this the text role the AT should have enough knowledge that
> it is either a raster image or a vector drawing
How does it get this knowledge? By looking at the role of ancestors?
Certainly, the static text role isn't sufficient to communicate this.

> Static text is important in that it would allow the text to be read to
> the user when placed in a line of text. Text frame would not work that
> way. It would be treated as a separate entity much the same way we
> handle TDs when role=“presentation”  is applied to a  table.
I disagree. As I've pointed out before, text frame (at least as it's
used in web browsers today) shouldn't be treated as a block element;
it's actually inline. ATs might *choose* to present it on a separate
line, but that's a choice, not something inherent in the role. Take the
following example:

Firefox exposes "bar" with a role of text frame, but it's still very
much inline and can thus be rendered on the same line unless an AT
chooses to render it separately for UX reasons.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Executive Director, NV Access Limited