[aapi] Minutes: UAI TF Meeting Tue 24 June 2014

Link: http://www.w3.org/2014/06/24-aapi-minutes.html

Plain text follows:


      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

           Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference
                              24 Jun 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/06/24-aapi-irc


          Bryan_Garaventa, Cynthia_Shelly, Joanie_Diggs,





     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Reminder: no meeting next week (Jun 30).
         2. [5]News: ACTION-1463/ISSUE-427 (All) Buy in from UA
            vendors for read-access to ARIA info.
         3. [6]Reminder: no meeting next week (Jun 30).
         4. [7]ISSUE-654: Label/description events (All) Need to
            assign actions.
         5. [8]aria-activedescendant and IE (Bryan):
         6. [9]aria-describedby and IE (Bryan):
         7. [10]ACTION-1115: (Joseph, Cynthia) MSAA reference
            regarding not using role strings when role value
            outside of enumerated set.
         8. [11]ACTION-1372 (Cynthia): Test case for rowgroup (if
            none exits).
         9. [12]ACTION-1373 (Cynthia): Test case for
        10. [13]ACTION-1409 (Joanie): Progress of ATK bugzilla for
            position, level, etc.
        11. [14]be done.
     * [15]Summary of Action Items

   <trackbot> Date: 24 June 2014

   <clown> agenda: this


   <scribe> scribenick: joanie

Reminder: no meeting next week (Jun 30).

   JS: Quick reminder that there is no meeting next week. (The
   1st; not the 30th)

News: ACTION-1463/ISSUE-427 (All) Buy in from UA vendors for
read-access to ARIA info.

   <clown> issue-427?

   <trackbot> issue-427 -- Need a way for application to find out
   what role has been applied to or computed for an element --

   <trackbot> [16]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/427

     [16] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/427

   JS: We discussed this at yesterday's meeting.
   ... We touched on this last week as well as part of the talk
   about automated testing.
   ... It would be nice to have access to the accessibility layer
   like computed role.
   ... This would be done via javascript.
   ... James Craig pointed out yesterday that we need to get
   buy-in for all browser vendors.
   ... Michael assigned a task to me to raise the subject with the
   accessibility API people, or really the browser vendors.
   ... For them to go back to their teams to get buy-in.

   BG: What kind of scenario would be different from what AT tools
   already do?

   JS: For example, they want to add

   <clown> element.computedRole();

   JS: (for above example) You can call this and it will return
   what the browser thinks the role is.
   ... This would probably be a developer-readable string.
   ... So you could do the markup for the role you want
   ... And then do this to see if you got it right.
   ... All of this would be read-only.
   ... Same with other items like accessible name.

   BG: Right, but you cannot access this via javascript currently.

   JS: This would work with automated testing tools without having
   to open an accessibility explorer or other such tool.

   <clown> action-1462?

   <trackbot> action-1462 -- Christopher Gallello to Discuss
   computed role with ie team -- due 2014-06-30 -- OPEN


     [17] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1462

   JS: Chris from Microsoft was given an action item yesterday.
   ... Dominic from Google got a similar action wrt the Blink

   CS: I will look into it as well.

Reminder: no meeting next week (Jun 30).


ISSUE-654: Label/description events (All) Need to assign actions.

   <clown> issue-654?

   <trackbot> issue-654 -- Add label and description changes to
   section "State and Property Change Events" -- open

   <trackbot> [18]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/654

     [18] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/654

   JS: It turns out that Firefox has recently added 2 new events.
   ... Description-changed and name-changed events.

   <clown> [19]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=991969

     [19] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=991969

   JD: But name-changed has been around awhile for ATK

   JS: Ah, so it's for description-changes.

   BG: This was impacting tooltips.

   JS: There's a lot of discussion in the bug between Alex and
   James Teh.
   ... What I'd like to do is.... (To Cynthia) is IE going to do

   CS: I've heard of it and can ask.

   <clown> ACTION: Cynthia to investigate IE support of accessilbe
   name and/or description changes. [recorded in

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-1468 - Investigate ie support of
   accessilbe name and/or description changes. [on Cynthia Shelly
   - due 2014-07-01].

   <clown> action-1468?

   <trackbot> action-1468 -- Cynthia Shelly to Investigate ie
   support of accessilbe name and/or description changes. -- due
   2014-07-01 -- OPEN


     [21] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1468

   JS: What I would like to do, if this works the same in all
   browsers, is to add something to the mapping document, the
   events section, to indicate these events are fired.
   ... I'll have to get something from Apple too.

aria-activedescendant and IE (Bryan):

     [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Jun/0059.html

   JS: This is something we started at the end of last meeting,
   but Bryan got cut off.

   BG: I actually did follow up with that via email.
   ... The markup is correct.
   ... It looks like an IE bug.

   CS: It's not specific to active descendant.
   ... It's a good one to have in our public issue tracker.

   JS: Is there anything that impacts the mapping guide?

   CS: It depends on how they want to fix the bug. They might have
   feedback on the spec, though.

   JS: OK, we'll wait until something comes up.

   BG: Fine with me.

aria-describedby and IE (Bryan):

     [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Jun/0036.html

   JS: This one has to do with described by.

   <clown> [24]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=991969

     [24] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=991969


     [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Jun/0036.html

   JS: The related email is above. (Reads from email)

   BG: I went back and forth with Steve Faulker on this.
   ... It's related to the tab index and what shows up in the
   accessibility tree.
   ... It seems like an IE bug.

   CS: It is definitely a difference. Not sure if it's a bug or a
   quirk, but we should talk about it.
   ... This has already been reported.

   JS: As with active descendant, there's no impact on the mapping
   until something happens here.

   CS: Correct, if they ask for a change in the spec. But I don't
   see any (impact) right now.

   JS: I like to see interoperability where possible.

ACTION-1115: (Joseph, Cynthia) MSAA reference regarding not using
role strings when role value outside of enumerated set.

   <clown> action-1115?

   <trackbot> action-1115 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Find reference
   in MSAA spec that says you can't put anything in the role
   property except roles that are defined by the MSAA spec -- due
   2012-10-02 -- OPEN


     [26] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1115

   JS: This is now my action. Cynthia did the heavy lifting.
   ... I was looking at this yesterday and have a question.
   ... I have to find the section of the document where to put
   ... There is a rule with respect to the MSAA spec that says if
   you have a role that is not one of the predefined roles, you
   are not supposed to put a string in the role property.
   ... This was filed a long time ago.
   ... I think I know where in the spec this goes.
   ... And want to confirm with you.

   <clown> [27]http://www.w3.org/TR/core-aam-1.1/#mapping_role

     [27] http://www.w3.org/TR/core-aam-1.1/#mapping_role

   JS: I think it goes in the above, in section 5.4
   ... The fifth item in the numbered list (reads from it)
   ... I guess under the MSAA bullet, I would put the reference to

   CS: Yes. I think the biggest impact... Firefox does this. I
   think they have moved largely over to IA2.
   ... It's important to make David aware of this.
   ... As he was concerned about this.

   JS: I will talk to David about this.
   ... I remember going back and forth about this. But I think
   they are almost ready to do this.
   ... I'll make the edit by our next meeting which will be on 8

ACTION-1372 (Cynthia): Test case for rowgroup (if none exits).

   <clown> action-1372?

   <trackbot> action-1372 -- Cynthia Shelly to Create a test case,
   if there is none, to test the rowgroup role -- due 2014-06-24
   -- OPEN


     [28] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1372

   CS: I will try to have this done next week.

ACTION-1373 (Cynthia): Test case for aria-posinset/aria-setsize.

   <clown> action-1373>

   <trackbot> action-1373 -- Cynthia Shelly to Create a test case
   for when aria-posinset and aria-setsize are provided explicitly
   on some but not all elements. -- due 2014-06-24 -- OPEN


     [29] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1373

   CS: I will try to have this done next week as well.

ACTION-1409 (Joanie): Progress of ATK bugzilla for position, level,

   <clown> action-1409?

   <trackbot> action-1409 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Monitor progress
   of bug against atk in gnome's bugzilla requesting new position,
   level, and other api be added
   ([30]https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727453) -- due
   2014-06-24 -- OPEN

     [30] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727453)


     [31] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1409

   JD: I talked to Alex PiƱeiro and he states that this
   realistically will not happen any time soon. But he is aware of
   it and plans to move forward with it when time permits.
   ... I'll try to discuss this at GUADEC.
   ... So let's shoot for whatever meeting we have after 1 August.

be done.

   Group consensus: We will leave early.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Cynthia to investigate IE support of accessilbe
   name and/or description changes. [recorded in

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [33]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([34]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-06-24 19:39:58 $

     [33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [34] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Tuesday, 24 June 2014 19:43:57 UTC