[aapi] Minutes: UAI TF Meeting Tue 17 June 2014

Link: http://www.w3.org/2014/06/17-aapi-minutes.html

Plain text follows:


      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

           Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference
                              17 Jun 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/06/17-aapi-irc


          Joseph_Scheuhammer, Joanie_Diggs, David_Bolter,
          Bryan_Garaventa, Cynthia_Shelly




     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]News: Heart beat publication released last Thu (Jun
         2. [5]News: aria-hasannotation and aria-annotatedby
         3. [6]ACTION-1371/ISSUE-618 (Cynthia): IE and single
            selection container when item becomes unselected.
         4. [7]ACTION-980 (David): Define mappings for managed
            aria related states.
         5. [8]ACTION-1408 (Joseph): Email jason kiss to ask him
            if he could write a section that describes api
         6. [9]ACTION-1409 (Joanie): Monitor progress of new
            position/level API.
         7. [10]ACTION-1419 (Joanie): Validity of
         8. [11]ACTION-1448 (Joanie): Listbox selection
            independent of checkbox state.
         9. [12]ACTION-1450 (Joseph): Provide link to uia express
            for accessibility api reference in section 3 of caam.
        10. [13]Bryan's question re: activedescendant and IE:
     * [14]Summary of Action Items

   <trackbot> Date: 17 June 2014

   <clown> agenda: this

   <scribe> Scribenick: joanie

News: Heart beat publication released last Thu (Jun 12).

   <clown> [15]http://www.w3.org/TR/core-aam-1.1/

     [15] http://www.w3.org/TR/core-aam-1.1/

   JS: The heartbeat publication was released last Thursday.
   ... The document of interest of us is above.
   ... Notice the title change.
   ... It is no longer the User Agent Implementation Guide

   <clown> www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.1/

   JS: Here's the spec (above)

   I am discoed


     [16] http://www.w3.org/TR/core-aam-1.1/#mapping_role_table

News: aria-hasannotation and aria-annotatedby

     [17] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26106).

   JS: We had a great discussion yesterday about MS request for
   two new aria properties.
   ... If you have a piece of text which has an annotation
   (author's comment, footnote, etc.)
   ... You use the hasannotation to specify the type
   ... And annotatedby for the annotation text.
   ... A resolution to create spec text was made.
   ... We'll also need mappings.
   ... UIA already has mappings
   ... But the other platform accessibility APIs do not have this
   in place yet.

   JD: You mean the role or the relationship?

   JS: The relationship.

   DB: Are there any restrictions on what an annotation can be?

   JS: No

   DB: Good

   JS: One value is "true"
   ... Annotated by is the ID

   <clown> action-1454?

   <trackbot> action-1454 -- James Craig to Add aria-hasannotation
   attribute with values: comment, footnote, endnote, reference,
   insertion, deletion, modification, true, false, more where
   aria-hasannotation has only one value at a time -- due
   2014-06-23 -- OPEN


     [18] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1454

   <clown> issue-655?

   <trackbot> issue-655 -- Consider creating annotations roles for
   comments, spell-check errors, etc -- closed

   <trackbot> [19]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/655

     [19] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/655



   JS: (Reads types of annotations)
   ... And James N requested more

   BG: What is true?

   JS: We have an annotation, but don't know what type it is.
   ... And the annotatedby points to the annotation
   ... One thing Chris said is the way the implemented it in Word
   and PowerPoint online is not put them in the DOM until the user
   requests them.

   CS: And there's a larger issue around virtual content
   ... All the people from big companies have this issue

   JS: Dojo anticipated this problem with grid.

   CS: It is less clear how to address the issue in Word
   ... We have handled it in the client app, but it's harder for
   the web app
   ... It's different in the annotations working group. They are
   talking about annotations between sites. This is within the
   ... So there is some overlap (e.g. tagging text ranges)
   ... But the use cases are different

   DB: We won't want to shove this into object attributes.

   CS: Agrees

   JD: Agrees

   DB: I sort of like the idea of describing what it has and then
   actually pointing to it.

   JS: There's one other thing which they came up with which I'm
   still mulling over
   ... You can have multiple notes pointing to the same text
   ... They handle this with multiple spans.

   DB: Where did the range discussion happen?

   CS: There was some at Microsoft and some at the annotations
   working group

   DB: I'll talk to Alex and Marco about this.

ACTION-1371/ISSUE-618 (Cynthia): IE and single selection container
when item becomes unselected.

   <clown> action-1371?

   <trackbot> action-1371 -- Cynthia Shelly to Investigate what ie
   does for single selection container when item becomes
   unselected, and create a test case (issue-618). -- due
   2014-06-10 -- CLOSED


     [21] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1371

   JS: The action is closed.

   CS: I think I sent it to the public list.


     [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2014Jun/0007.html

   JS: And you noted that we need to create a test suite and
   harness for 1.1 so you can put this test in.

   CS: I was going to wait a couple of weeks before raising this
   with Michael as he's busy at the moment.

   <clown> action-1457?

   <trackbot> action-1457 -- Cynthia Shelly to Ask Michael to
   create 1.1 testharness -- due 1970-01-01 -- OPEN


     [23] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1457

   trackbot, associate action-1457 with issue-618

   <trackbot> action-1457 (Ask Michael to create 1.1 testharness)
   associated with issue-618.

   JS: So we'll leave the issue open, but I won't check it until
   the action comes due.
   ... Related aside, there will be no meeting on 1 July.

ACTION-980 (David): Define mappings for managed aria related states.


   <trackbot> action-980 -- David Bolter to Define mappings for
   managed aria related states: aria-setsize, aria-posinset,
   arla-level, focused, focusable with reference to section 5.5
   bullet 1 of the UAIG. -- due 2014-06-07 -- OPEN


     [24] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/980

ACTION-1408 (Joseph): Email jason kiss to ask him if he could write a
section that describes api differences.

   JS: I've not done this yet.

   <clown> action-1408?

   <trackbot> action-1408 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Send email to
   jason kiss to ask him if he could write an aapi section that
   describes api differences. -- due 2014-06-10 -- OPEN


     [25] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1408

   JS: My thought is to wait until Jason starts joining our
   ... I don't get the sense that this is a high-priority. Does
   anyone disagree?
   ... The HTML people want a section in our document outlining
   the differences between the accessibility APIs.

   CS: I remember us having something similar to that and we
   agreed to remove it a couple of years ago.

   DB: I agree this is not high-priority.

   (Some discussion about automated testing)

   JS: WebKit has this.

   DB: I think someone at Google is doing this as well.

   CS: There's also a client application that drives the browser.

   DB: It would be nice to make something platform agnostic

   CS: James C and James N were talking about something similar

   <davidb> yeah

   <davidb> (getcomputed* [name,role...])

   CS: I remember their wanting to have an intermediate layer.

   JS: Something like an acid test would be very nice.

   DB: This might be something TPG could do.
   ... We're using our xpcom stuff. I can get you a document that
   explain how our testing works.

   CS: I would love some automation for our testing harness.

   DB: What I'm talking about tests our abstraction.
   ... This cannot be a priority for my team until we iron out
   other things.

ACTION-1409 (Joanie): Monitor progress of new position/level API.

   <clown> action-1409?

   <trackbot> action-1409 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Monitor progress
   of bug against atk in gnome's bugzilla requesting new position,
   level, and other api be added
   ([26]https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727453) -- due
   2014-04-15 -- OPEN

     [26] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727453)


     [27] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1409

   JD: There is no update. The issue has stalled on the GNOME
   ... I will ping Alejandro PiƱeiro tomorrow.

ACTION-1419 (Joanie): Validity of aria-pressed="mixed".

   <clown> action-1419?

   <trackbot> action-1419 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Investigate the
   validity of aria-pressed=mixed -- due 2014-04-08 -- OPEN


     [28] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1419

   JD: Having spoken with Joseph about this issue, it seems there
   are use cases for it. Therefore, while it might not be ideal
   UI, it is possible UI. So from the point of view of ARIA we
   need to keep supporting this.

   <davidb> +1

   JS: I've closed this issue with a note.

ACTION-1448 (Joanie): Listbox selection independent of checkbox

   <clown> action-1448?

   <trackbot> action-1448 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Investigate
   whether or not listbox selection can really be independent of
   checkbox state. due 10 june. -- due 2014-06-10 -- OPEN


     [29] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1448

   JD: This was discussed at the ARIA meeting.

   JS: That's right. And after a thorough discussion at that
   meeting, the conclusion was to put checkable back in 1.1 for
   ... So I will close this item.

ACTION-1450 (Joseph): Provide link to uia express for accessibility
api reference in section 3 of caam.

   <clown> ACTION-1450?

   <trackbot> ACTION-1450 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Provide link to
   uia express for accessibility api reference in section 3 of
   caam -- due 2014-06-11 -- OPEN


     [30] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1450

   JS: This was raised last week by Cynthia.
   ... I will do this.
   ... What this is is that section 3 of the mapping guide is the
   ... There's a section in there about UIA express.
   ... There is no link in there.
   ... Cynthia gave us a link.
   ... The link will go into both.
   ... The document processor we use for re-spec uses special
   notation for doing references.
   ... Typing it in is like this:

   <clown> [[UIAEXPRESS]]

   JS: And then re-spec consults a database and pulls in the URL
   for you.
   ... UIA express is not in that database (yet).
   ... So I'll have to add it.
   ... Due date will be the 8th.

Bryan's question re: activedescendant and IE:

     [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Jun/0059.html

   JS: Bryan brought this up on the PF public list.
   ... You seem to be saying aria-activedescendant is working
   correctly with Jon's example with IE.
   ... (Reads from email)

   BG: Basically someone brought this up to me.
   ... There was a bug where it didn't work in IE 11.
   ... My main question was about the tree construct.
   ... It was providing weird feedback and I wasn't sure if it was

   JS: We just lost Bryan.

   Group concludes to revisit this next week.

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [32]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([33]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-06-17 20:01:56 $

     [32] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Tuesday, 17 June 2014 20:04:59 UTC