Regarding the concept of ARIA being passive vs active

Hi,
I understand this will be discussed later this month when we're at the ftf
meeting, but I just wished to throw this out there in advance. Also, I may
not have been clear yesterday about the use case I was thinking of during
the call.

I can see the attraction of making a role, such as role=button on a Div or
Span, cause the browser to activate the click event when activated from the
keyboard in the same manner as a Button element.

At the same time, for years, the passive aspect of ARIA has caused countless
implementations and libraries to implement both a key event and a click
handler to ensure accessibility for both keyboard and sighted mouse users
with cross browser and cross AT compatibility when applying interactivity to
natively static elements.

So if the addition of role=button suddenly caused the click event on a Div
or Span to be fired as well when activated from the keyboard, presumably it
would fire both the key event and the click, which would cause a conflict
for redundant event handlers.

For example, for ARIA Toggles, the firing of one would cancel out the other,
since the key event would toggle on and at the same time the firing of the
click would instantly toggle off, breaking all such implementations that
currently exist everywhere.

If ARIA were made active instead of passive, Presumably the same
considerations would have to be made for all other interactive roles as
well, such as menuitem, option, radio, checkbox, tab, etc?

Just some food for thought prior to the meeting.