Re: aria-level defined on headings (not globally); is it expected that we'd allow it to override implicit level on h1-h6 headings w/o explicit role defined?

It is my interpretation that the webkit behaviour is correct. The same
scenario leads to other seemingly bizarre code like
<button role="button" aria-pressed="false">ToggleButton</button>

Note - that aria-required appears to have an exception from this
requirement in the spec.

    Unless an exactly equivalent native attribute is available, host
    languages SHOULD allow authors to use the aria-required attribute on
    host language form elements that require input or selection by the user.

Regards,
James