Re: Mac mapping accessible role description of contentinfo

Thanks James,

So no UAIG issue needs to be logged then.

Andi

From:	James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
To:	Andi Snow-Weaver/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:	Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH
            <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Date:	02/17/2012 12:39 PM
Subject:	Re: Mac mapping accessible role description of contentinfo

Thanks for the heads-up Andi. Indeed I missed the original.

Steve, I think changing that string is a reasonable request, but since this
is OS X specific API, if you have a suggested improvement, feel free to
suggest it on bugreport.apple.com or otherwise off list. It's outside the
scope of discussion for a W3C list, since that section of UAIG just lists
current implementations from the API vendors.

Thanks,
James

On Feb 17, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I don't see a response from James on the mailing list. So that this
doesn't get lost, would you mind filing a public comment on the UAIG?

> Andi
>
> Andi Snow-Weaver
> Accessibility Standards Program Manager
> Human Ability & Accessibility Center
>
> Tel: +1-720-663-2789
> Email: andisnow@us.ibm.com
>

> Steve Faulkner ---01/29/2012 10:55:37 AM---Hi all, The AXRoleDescription
for contentinfo seems a bit useless in the UA

Snow-Weaver/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
> Date:		 01/29/2012 10:55 AM
> Subject:		 Mac mapping accessible role description of contentinfo
>

> Hi all,
>
> The AXRoleDescription for contentinfo seems a bit useless in the UA
implementation guide (and also implemented in webkit) given that  the "User
agent should return a user-presentable, localized string value for the
AXRoleDescription."

> It is simply 'content' which could refer to anything. it is not
descriptive or indicative of what the contentinfo landmark role is supposed
to represent:

> "A large perceivable region that contains information about the parent
document.
> Examples of information included in this region of the page are
copyrights and links to privacy statements." [1]

www.twitter.com/stevefaulkner
> HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives -
dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/
www.paciellogroup.com/resources/wat-ie-about.html