Re: False aria-describedby expectations in ARIA Authoring Practices (longdesc)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>> ARIA is going through Candidate Recommendation so changing the browser
>> implementation this late in the game is problematic. I read through the code
>> and I don't see what the patch does for accessibility. It appears to simply
>> be iterating through valid ids that match the describedby reference. What
>> are you actually doing with this patch as it is not clear?
>
> Huh? I don't understand why the spec status affects the ability to fix bugs
> in the various implementations? Going to rec freezes the spec, not the
> implementations.

Sorry, forgot to answer the questions regarding what the patch does.

We already have code to expose longdesc to AT software. What the patch
does is that it detects that if an image doesn't have a longdesc
attribute, but does have a aria-describedby which points to a <a> or
<area> element with a href attribute, it exposes the link in that
<a>/<area> as being the location of the long description of the image.

/ Jonas