Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

hi thomas,
>I'm by no mean an ARIA or even accessibility expert (and I know you
>are one)

nor am I.

<snipping> the example stuff as the discussion is not about what developers
_should_ do, its about what developers _can_ and _do_.

>The fact that the developer can technically turn an <a> into a button
>isn't a justification for making it conforming. If it's not a link but
>a button, you should use <button> or <span role=button>.

but it is conforming as far as I understand, if the <a> is turned into a
button by scripting, it is not a testable conformance error. All the event
handler attributes to do this and all the styling do do this is conforming,
only at the point where the ARIA role is added to make sense out of nonsense
to AT users does it become a testable conformance error per the HTML5 spec.

regards
stevef

--
with regards