Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Hi Jonas

>But for example <h1> can be overridden to look and act like a button
>or a link, does this mean that we should allow arbitrary ARIA on <h1>?

short answer is yes.

If for whatever reason a <h1> has been scripted to look and act like a
button to perfom an action that is otherwise not available, then it would be
appropriate to allow an ARIA role="button" be allowed on the <h1> so that
users of AT can get information on how to interact with it.
regards
Steve

--
with regards