Re: Discussion: Accessibility Issues Procedure

With all due respect I would like to point out a fundamental reason why your
arguments do not apply to this situation without even chiding you for
inappropriate characterizations of "genuflecting", "getting your way", etc.
because on the surface that is what the "demands" seem like.

The difference between this set of circumstances and the cited SVG/CSS and
other similar "battles" is that just as the U.S. congress in the preamble to
the ADA and the UN's recent proclamation about disability rights point out
there has been a systematic/official discrimination against people with
disabilities, including really severe stuff like
incarceration/sterilization/euthanasia. Nobody from CSS WG threatens to
institutionalize members of SVG WG but people with disabilities live with
such realities all their lives.

So sometimes tinkering with hard-won gains by members of the Disability
Rights Movement and their allies will obviously cause spirited reaction and
deservedly so. We simply cannot tolerate having our issues treated as mere
technological misunderstanding. This may be unfortunate from your point of
view, but there clearly IS a difference between these disagreements and
those whose turf is threatened, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I strongly disagree with your opening
statement because this is NOT just "...any other issue" - it carries
enormous historical/emotional content beyond mere technological issues. In
short, this "controversy" extends well beyond consultation with "any other
working group" but also an entire body of advocates/activists who will use
filibustering and broadsides to prevent our meager gains from being eroded
by technocrats.

Love.

--
http://www.boobam.org/webgeezermild.htm