From: "James Craig" <jcraig@apple.com>
To: "Victor Tsaran" <vtsaran@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>; "W3C WAI-XTECH"
<wai-xtech@w3.org>; <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Use of role="application" for flash files

I can see the benefit of using application on a Flash movie for the
sake of landmark navigation, but it also is intended to communicate to
the UA/AT to switch from ‘document browsing’ mode into ‘application
interface’ mode, so it doesn’t make as much sense b/c Flash movies
aren’t ARIA applications. In a sense, because Flash isn’t accessible
on all systems, and because the interface is very different from the
web browser’s interface, the author is promising the user something
they can’t always deliver, or may not deliver in the way the user
expects.

In theory, on the platforms where Flash is accessible, the Flash
player could/should communicate role, state, and property information
directly to the accessibility API, instead of going through the
browser via ARIA.