From: wai-xtech-request@w3.org [mailto:wai-xtech-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Steven Faulkner
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 8:09 AM
To: W3C WAI-XTECH
Cc: w3c-wai-pf@w3.org PF
Subject: Use of role="application" for flash files

I recieved a question about the use of role="application" for Flash
files in web pages.
My response was
"The role of application does something quite specific, it tells the AT
to switch modes (if the AT uses them). It was only added as a landmark
role the other day, so I don't think the PF WG have thought about it in
terms of its landmark use. It would make sense for a flash movie that is
an interactive widget to be given a role="application" i guess..."
(http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=106)

any thoughts or guidance on this?

While on this subject, with the behaviour of some AT being the switching
of modes when a container with role="application" is encountered, will
this not have a negative effect upon the navigability of landmark roles,
as it is my understanding that landmark role navigation will only work
in virtual mode?

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner