Re: ARIA setsize attribute

From what I understand, aria-setsize is intended to fix dom structures where the set size can't be determined automatically from the DOM, e.g. a tree widget that is marked up as a flat html table and every row has a role of treeitem. In this case case the treeitems are not grouped by branch in the DOM structure, so you would need to apply aria-setsize aria-posinset to and aria-level  to every treeitem to fix this lack of structure.

Wouldn't setting aria-setsize on a container be a bit pointless, because:
If the container truly represents the set, then you wouldn't need the aria-setsize attribute anymore because the setsize can be determined from the DOM structure. If it can't be (for example because certain child roles are not DOM children of the container) then aria-owns should be used and the user agent should add it to the automatically calculated set size.
If the container does not reflect the actual set (as in my tree example above), then aria-setsize wouldn't be applicable on this node.

Unless I'm missing something?

Regards,

Hans Hillen
TPG Europe