Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> I understand that Steven has proposed a set of rules for validators to
> use which he believes will encourage the adoption of alt attributes.  I
> further understand that Ian has draft text which proposes a different
> set of rules for validators to use which he believes will encourage the
> adoption of alt attributes.  I understand both sets of rules.
>
> As to whether or not I understand the rationale for each: frankly no.
> Actually, that's not quite right.  I've read the words in each case,
> believe that you both are being a bit, shall we say, optimistic.  But
> that's just me.

I think understanding the problem that Steven's proposal solves is an
important part of evaluating Steven's proposal, and a critical part of me
merging it into HTML5.

I find it ridiculous that you suggest that my admitting not understanding
the proposal's rationale is somehow a bad thing when you yourself now
admit to not understanding the proposal's rationale.

Steven, if you could describe for me the problem that exists in the HTML5
spec that your proposal solves, I would be more than happy to address said
problem, and would be grateful for your proposal.

Without a description of a problem, however, I do not intend to edit the
spec on this topic.

HTH,