Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> hi maciej,
>
> >For the combination of Safari+VoiceOver, the actual AT (VoiceOver)
> has no direct access to the DOM, and we >kind of like it that way. I
> think it would be better to specify things without overconstraining
> how the browser and >AT talk to each other to fix up broken content.
>
> so are all the html elements that voiceover provides interaction
> with mapped to the apple accessibility API?

Yes. The Mac OS X accessibility API is the sole way that Safari
communicates with VoiceOver. The same goes for any other browser - no
back channels. VoiceOver does not do any poking in the DOM, and we
would like to keep it that way. This means that a some of heuristics
for making VoiceOver work well are actually in WebKit, not VoiceOver,
since we have to expose the right information for VO to do its thing.

Regards,
Maciej