Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis writes:

> On 17/08/2009 09:42, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
> > Would it be appropriate, in light of this, to add a user agent
> > requirement that an img with empty alt should not be mapped to
> > accessibility APIs at all?
>
> Given the variety of authoring practice around "alt", I don't think
> that  would be safe.

If every instance of alt="" should also have role=presentation then
could we get user-agents to infer that?

Specifically, if a user-agent encounters alt="" but no role attribute
then it behaves as if the document had had role=presentation (adding it
to the Dom, passing it to screen readers, etc).

Smylers