Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

Hi Sam,

On Aug 16, 2009, at 3:41 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
>>> Steven Faulkner posted a resolution.  I will note the following
>>>
>>> 1) Ian Hickson[1][2]: "I don't understand"
>>> 2) Maciej Stachowiak [3][4][5]: "The material differences ... are"
>>> 3) Henri Sivonen [6]: "the following procedure should be followed"
>>>
>>> Between the three of you, nobody has provided any feedback on the
>>> resolution itself.
>> I am unable to evaluate proposals without knowing what problems the
>> proposals are trying to solve. I would *love* to be able to review
>> this feedback.
>> Here is my feedback in the absence of knowing what the point of the
>> proposal is:
>>  I intend to merge ARIA in as soon as it is possible to do so in a
>> well-   defined manner.
>
> I believe that we are at that point.

When we discussed this on the last telecon, you said the next step was
for PFWG to document their current thinking on conflicts of ARIA /
host language semantics in some public form. I also offered to give
early feedback by private email, if it would be helpful. So far I have
not seen anything on this topic in either public or private mail.

In blog comments[1] you said:

"This leads to two actions.  In the short term (as in days), the ARIA
spec needs to enable host languages to make these distinctions.  In
the longer term (as in weeks) somebody needs to work out a matrix of
potential combinations; for examples rows can be html elements and
columns can be aria roles, and for each determine if the combination
makes sense."

ACTION-114[2], tracking progress on this short-term task, is due this
coming Thursday.

Regards,
Maciej

[1] http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/08/12/Mountain-Mohammed-Mohammed-Mountain-Please-Talk#c1250189423