Re: My position (was RE: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2)

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>  From my perspective, it seems that, despite knowing that the issue will
> remain open and that any outcome is possible in the future, your
> motivation for taking this route is to circumvent the process that has
> so far been applied to every other feature either added to or rejected
> from the spec.

A process which is not the W3C process.

> What I do not understand is why it is so important for you to achieve
> this minor victory of having @summary at least temporarily reinstated
> now knowing full well that it stands every chance of being overturned
> based on new evidence in a subsequent draft once this issue really is
> resolved.  Likewise, the text in Hixie's current draft also stands equal
> chance of being overturned based on new evidence.

You are missing something important: previous "evidence" was *not*
generally accepted as sufficient. Furthermore, even if we had that
evidence, many claim that a new spec then needs to propose a
*replacement* for summary, which is not the case so far.

> So far, it seems you've done a lot of complaining about how you claim
> the draft simply reflects Hixie's own opinion, but yet don't seem to
> consider it hypocritical that the draft you have proposed merely
> reflects your personal opinion.

It does reflect my opinion as well.

I assume a similar poll could be done with respect to @profile, for example.

> Personally, it is of little concern to me in what state the summary
> attribute is in the upcoming Working Draft. I believe it is more
> important continue investigating the issue in terms of research and
> evidence, rather than bickering about what one Working Draft, published
> solely to meet the heartbeat requirement, says, and using subversive
> tactics to get your way.

With each WD we are getting closer to LC (hopefully), and at some point
of time we need to figure out a way to resolve controversial issues.
Better do it now. Actually, we better had that done months ago.

BR, Julian