Re: conformance checker for HTML+ARIA?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:25:23AM +0100, Gez Lemon wrote:

> It doesn't resolve the whole issue of ensuring that ARIA is used
> correctly with a native markup language, but if the ARIA specification
> is available in a machine readable format (such as what attribute
> values are valid for a particular attribute, and what attributes can
> be used with particular roles in RDF), we could build a basic
> validator to ensure at least the ARIA part is used according to its
> specification.

Yes, but unless the validator includes a Javascript interpreter and a DOM
implementation, all that can be checked are the Aria attributes of the
document prior to the execution of scripts that modify it.

Anything involving live regions or Javascript functions that change states or
properties would largely escape any lesser validator. Maybe the validator
needs to be written as a user agent extension that can verify correctness as
changes are made.