Re: Is longdesc a good solution? (was: Acessibility of <audio> and <video>)

At 22:16 9/09/2008, Matt Morgan-May wrote:

>On 9/9/08 2:36 AM, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> > (...) Would this
> > <video src=movie.ogg>Please upgrade to a browser that supports HTML5
> > be a "hack"?
>
>Yes, I'd say that's definitely a hack. (I also think that returning to the
>day of telling users their browser isn't good enough is a pretty big step
>backward, especially when they could instead embed another object 99% of
>them already have. But that's not an accessibility issue.)
>
> > Is a semantic association between the <video> element and the
> > transcript necessary if the link is very near the video in the
> > document reading order?
>
>Yes. What if there are 2 or more videos within the document?
>
>We're beyond telling screen readers to scrape around for data. That's what
>they're reduced to doing when the format in question doesn't provide them
>with the kind of linkage they're looking for--it's a repair technique. (see
>also: D-links).

+1 for relations that can be programmatically determined instead of band aid.

WAI-ARIA should not lead other specifications to make a backwards step with
regard to programmatic associations; quite the obverse.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe